Take an Exam
Take An Exam
Toggle ItemNavigating an Exam
Exams and quizzes are treated the same way on Learning Suite. Students can access an exam from the Assignments page, the Dashboard, the Schedule (including the Combined Schedule), and the Exam tab.
1. From the Dashboard, the Schedule, the Assignments page, or the Exam tab, click the green Begin Exam Now button.
Note: If an instructor has enabled late exams, students can take exams as normal after the close date. The set late penalty will then be applied to the exam score.
2. The Exam Information Page displays a description of the exam, the time limit for the exam (if applicable), how many times the exam can be taken, and the open and close dates of the exam. Click the green Begin Exam button to begin the exam.
3. The exam may display five questions per page or one question per page, depending on settings chosen by the instructor and the type of question displayed. For information on specific question types, click here.
4. Test takers can flag questions to remind themselves to return to them later. Click the white flag on the right side of the question to turn the flag orange.
5. If the exam has a time limit, the test taker can see how much time is left under the Time Remaining . Click Hide Timer  if you don't want to be distracted by the countdown. Click Notify me when  and enter in minutes if you want to be alerted when a certain number of minutes remain in the exam.
6. Test takers can see their progress through the exam on the Test Progress section.
- Numbers indicate the question number; a greyed out number means it has been answered.
- Clicking on a question number will jump the user to that question, even if it hasn't been answered yet.
Flagged questions will have an orange box around them.
7. Progress through the exam by clicking the Save and Continue button to move forward and Back to move backward. Save Progress saves the exam but does not change the page.
Note: Clicking the Save Progress button frequently is strongly recommended when writing long essay questions and whenever the test taker is on intermittent internet connections!
8. Submit the exam by clicking the Finish and Submit button found on the last page of the exam or on the bottom of the left navigation.
Click Submit Exam on the confirmation popup.
9. After submission, the user is redirected to the exam information page. It will verify that the exam was submitted and, depending on settings chosen by the instructor, may show the score and options to review the completed exam.
Toggle ItemExam Question Types
Instructors have the option of creating different types of questions within an exam:
- Multiple Choice
- Multiple Response
- Open Response
- Fill in the Blank
- Matching Questions
- Short Text
- Hot Spot
True/FalseTrue/False questions are distinguished by the radio buttons located in front of the answers. Test-takers are only allowed to select one option (true or false) for each question.
Click on the radio button next to the correct answer to answer the question
Multiple ChoiceMultiple choice questions are distinguished by the radio buttons located in front of the answers. Test-takers are only allowed to select one option for each question.
Click on the radio button next to the correct answer to answer the question.
Multiple ResponseMultiple response questions are distinguished by the check boxes located in front of the answers. Test-takers are allowed to select more than one option for each question.
Check the box(es) next to the correct answers to answer the question.
Open ResponseOpen response questions are distinguished by the text box located underneath the question text. Test-takers are only allowed to type one answer for each text box.
Click on the text box and type your answer. If there is a word limit, it will be displayed below the text box.
Fill in the BlankFill in the blank questions are distinguished by the text box located in within the question text. Test-takers are only allowed to type one answer for each text box.
Click on the text box and type your answer inside of it to answer the question.
Matching QuestionsMatching questions are distinguished by the drop down menus located underneath each question section. Test-takers are only allowed to select one option for each question.
Click on the drop down menu underneath the question and select the correct match.
DateClick on the arrows to increase or decrease the number.
Short TextClick on the text box and type in the answer
NumberClick on the arrows to increase or decrease the number.
Click on Match for each question and then click on the location in the image that best fits the question.
Note: To change the answer, click on Rematch and then click on the location in the image that best fits the question.
Click and drag each of the answer choices into the box that says “Drag answers here” according to the order indicated by the question.
Note: To change the order, click and drag each answer choice into the new desired order.
Toggle ItemSimple Proctor Exams
If your instructor has enabled Simple Proctor for your exam, you will need to give Learning Suite permission to access your webcam. You'll then see a video of yourself in the Exam Information box. Start the exam.
While you are taking the exam, you will see a video feed of your camera in the top right of the screen. In addition to regular camera captures, Simple Proctor will record when you leave the exam tab, if you disable your camera, if you disconnect your internet, etc. Take the exam as usual and finish and submit when you are done.
Toggle ItemProctorio Exams
Before beginning, ensure you have a working webcam and microphone.
Note: Headphones and earbuds with microphones are not allowed with Proctorio.
1. Ensure Google Chrome is downloaded. It can be downloaded from
2. Install the Proctorio extension.
a. Click Add to Chrome
b. A notification will appear in the middle of your browser window--click Add extension.
Take the Exam
1. Turn on your webcam and microphone
2. Click Setup Proctor Exam
3. Read through the “Before you Begin” section to understand how Proctorio works
4. After closing all other browser tabs and windows, continue to the exam by clicking on the Start exam pre-checks button at the bottom of the page.
5. Proctorio will begin going through the exam setup checks according to the professor’s specifications
6. A window will appear which asks you to Share your entire screen—click on the preview of the screen and then the share button
7. Proctorio will preview your webcam output; follow the on-screen instructions and then click Next.
8. Hold up photo identification such as your student ID to the webcam and center it within the green rectangle for Proctorio to scan it
9. If the photo is blurry, click Re-take, otherwise click Next.
10. Proctorio will again preview your webcam output—click Begin camera test and smile when prompted.
11. Proctorio will alert you if Intelligent Room Scan is turned on; continue by clicking I understand.
12. Using a mouse, touchpad, or touchscreen, sign the space at the bottom of the screen and click Accept.
13. You will now be redirected back to the exam on Learning Suite; click Start Exam Now.
Note: Do not step away from your computer, take a screenshot, or navigate away from the exam screen at any point
14. If prompted to perform an Intelligent Room scan, click Start the Scan and move your webcam slowly around the room until the Done button appears—click Done to continue.
15. When finished, click Submit Exam.
When taking an exam, you will have access to certain tools which will appear in the top left corner of the screen. You can increase and decrease page zoom as well as monitor your computer battery levels. Additionally, you may have access to the following tools:
- You may perform calculations with basic or scientific functions depending on the exam setup.
- White board:
- You may use a scratch pad and drawing tools on-screen for scratch work and annotations.
- Start a live chat:
- If experiencing technical difficulties, you can click this to open a live chat with a Proctorio technician.
Josh Brown Kainalu Grace