1. Click on Announcements located underneath the Course Home menu.
2. Click +New Announcement.
3. A dialog window will appear. Click [more courses] to select the courses to share the announcement with.
4. Type the announcement’s subject in the Subject text box. Type the message in the Message text box.
Note: Announcements cannot have attachments because they may be emailed. The file would not be preserved in the email, and students would not be able to open the attachment.
5. To display the announcement for a set period of time, check the Expire on checkbox. Use the calendar and time tools to pick the specific date and time for the announcement to expire.
Note: All deleted announcements are moved under the Expired tab where they are not visible to students but are saved for further use. If you don’t set an expiration date, the announcement will remain current for the whole semester.
6. To notify all students of the announcement via email, click the Critical Announcement: Email to everyone on publish checkbox.
Note: Students will receive the email as a blind carbon copy and cannot reply.
7. Click Publish Announcement. To save the announcement, but not publish it for the class to see, click Save as draft.
8. View announcement. When an announcement is published, it appears on the student dashboard and can be viewed when the students log in to the course.
Note: If a TA edits a global announcement at the course level, and that TA does not have access to other sections, the announcement will be deleted in the other sections.
Toggle ItemExpire and Restore
1. Click Announcements under Course Home.
2. Click the Expire (recycle bin) icon next to the announcement. A dialog box will appear, confirming the expiration. Click Yes. The announcement is then moved to the Expired folder.
Note: Expiring an announcement is the same as deleting it.
1. Click Expired in the Announcements sub-menu on the left.
2. Click the Edit (pencil) icon next to the announcement. Edit the Expire On information to include a date in the future. Click Publish.
The announcement will appear on students’ Dashboard.
Toggle ItemDelete in One Section or Course
An announcement sent to all courses may need to be deleted for one course or section. This can be done by editing the announcement.
1. Click Announcements from the navigation menu on the left.
2. Click the pencil icon to edit the announcement.
Note: If a TA updates a global announcement at the course level, and that TA does not have access to the other sections, the announcement will be deleted in the other sections.
3. A dialog window appears. Click the [more courses] link to view all courses or sections that the announcement was sent to.
4. Uncheck any courses or sections that you do not want the announcement to appear in.
5. Click Publish. The announcement will no longer appear in any courses that are unchecked.
Note: If critical announcement was checked when originally creating the announcement an email was sent to all sections and courses that were included. This means that students in removed courses who received the critical announcement email may still think the announcement applies to them.