On initial view of this tab you have options to turn on sub-pages as well as an option to turn the page off to student view. At any point in the future, you can revisit this setup page in the left-hand navigation to turn on or off future integrations.
Zoom, instructor view
[Note that you will need to log into zoom.byu.edu at least once before enabling this feature so that you are provisioned into the BYU enterprise account.]
Select the Zoom check box and click Save and Continue. Zoom will then appear in an iframe in Learning Suite:
Click on “Schedule a New Meeting” to schedule a new meeting for this class. Set any options you would like, including setting the meeting as a repeat or enabling a waiting room. You can also set up your polling for the class in this setup.
- Co-instructors are automatically added as alternative hosts.
- TAs must be manually added as alternative hosts. To add them, use their firstname.lastname@example.org with each email separated by commas.
Note: Alternative hosts can start and end meetings. For more info about roles in a zoom meeting, click here.
- Students are automatically added as attendees (even if they add the class later)
- Passwords are automatically passed behind the scenes and don't need to be distributed
- Click All my Zoom Meetings/Recordings to view all of your Zoom meetings (not just the ones scheduled for this specific course)
- Upcoming meetings will show for the class on the Upcoming Meetings tab. Just click the “Start” button when it’s time for class!
- Previous Meetings shows all previous meetings for this class. (It will just show the information about the meeting to students, but instructors will be able to link to the Zoom file and see a Report of who attended the meeting.)
- Personal Meeting Room gives you access to your Personal Meeting Room options.
- Cloud Recordings – if you choose to publish past meetings, students can review a prior recorded class meeting. The publish ability is a toggle, so you can permit students to view the lecture for a few days and then toggle it off when you don't want them to have access.
- The kebab menu allows you to import meetings/recordings that you’ve already set up but didn’t do it via Learning Suite. Just type in the Meeting ID and it is now part of this class and will show in the list of viewable meetings. You can also use this menu to disassociate a meeting from the course. Disassociating a meeting unlinks the Zoom meeting from the course.
If you visit zoom.byu.edu, these class meetings will also show up on your Zoom list there and you can also make edits to the meetings via that site.
At this point in time, if you want to create pre-assigned breakout rooms for a meeting, you can set up the meeting in Learning Suite first, then go to zoom.byu.edu to edit the meeting and create the pre-assigned breakout groups. If you plan on using breakout rooms that are not pre-assigned, you don't need to do anything further during setup.
Zoom, student view:
- Students can see upcoming meetings and join new meetings easily – no passwords, no hunting for links
Past meetings listed are listed but not accessible on the Previous Meetings tab
- On the Cloud Recordings tab, students can see past Zoom meetings if you published them--no need for you or them to remember passwords or shared links
For more info about the Zoom student view, click here.
Toggle ItemSimple Video
Simple Video records videos and audio directly into Learning Suite. Select the Simple Video check box and click Save and Continue. To record a new video or audio file, click New Recording.
A dialog window appears:
- Title: enter the title of the file
- Description: enter any additional information in the text box.
- Recording: select video or audio. Click Record to record the video or audio. Click Stop to end recording. Click Re-record to re-record the clip.
- Volume Bar: controls the input sound.
- Advanced Options: Devices shows the audio input source, audio output destination, and video source. Audio/Video Settings have options to auto gain control, echo cancellation, and noise suppression.
- Save Until and Hide Until: appear after recording. Choose a date and time under Save Until to select how long the video will appear. Choose a date and time under Hide Until to hide the clip until the desired time.
Saved videos will appear under Archives.
- Down Arrow: downloads the media clip to your computer
- Pencil Icon: opens the dialog window to make edits
- Trash Icon: deletes the clip
Students only view the clips that are still saved and not hidden. Click on Watch Recorded Lecture box to open the recording.
Other stores additional content. Instructors may post recorded lectures, embedded videos, links to videos, etc.
Under Setup, select the Other check box and click Save and Continue.
Click +Add Other to add a content item.
- Title: enter title of content item
- Status: Published displays the item to students. An option to hide the item appears with a selection for date and time. Unpublished hides the item. Scheduled, Publish On: gives the option to choose a day to make the item visible to students. Another option to hide the content item on a certain time and day appears.
- Textbox: enter the content information
- Click Save. Save and Publish is an option when the item is selected as Unpublished. Clicking Save and Publish will make the item visible to students.